The Next (top) Ten Commandments for the New Millennium
(Originally published as a Letter to the Editor, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, February 24, 2000.)
20) Do not seek tax-exemption for I paid my taxes, and those of Peter, even though I was tax exempt (Matthew 17:26-7).
19) Let there be no racial, economic, or gender divisions among you as "there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one" (Galatians 3:28).
18) Do not define a fertilized egg as a living child for have I not told you, twice (Leviticus 17:11 and Deuteronomy 12:23), that "life is in the blood" and there is no blood until the second week after conception.
17) Care for the homeless as you would for me for I have told you "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head" (Matthew 8:20).
16) Do not harm the planet I have loaned you for I shall return "destroying those who destroy the earth" (Revelation 11:18).
15) Teach my Law of Evolution in your churches because men "are like the animals...all have the same breath...all come from dust and to dust all return (Ecclesiastes 3:18-20) and differ only in spirit (verse 21).
14) Be fiscally righteous in your Christianity and live as when "all believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their posessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need" (Acts 2:44-5).
13) Beware of wealthy (media) ministers "who think that godliness is a means to financial gain" (I Timothy 6:5) and "have nothing to do with them. They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control" (II Timothy 3:5-6).
12) Give as the poor widow gave (Mark 12:42-4) for I am concerned not with how much you give but how much you keep for yourselves.
11) Vote Democratic and not Republican for I chose to ride a donkey, not an elephant, on my triumphal entry into Jerusalem (John 12:14).
"The Next (top) Ten Commandments for the New Millennium" is copyright
© 2001 by Neal Matson.
|Top of Page|