Brief Biography of
Stephen J. Sullivan
Position: Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- Member, American Philosophical Association, 2004-present
- Member, PASSHE Interdisciplinary Association for Philosophy and Religious Studies, 2005-present
- Ph.D., Philosophy, Cornell University, 1990
- M.A., Philosophy, Cornell University, 1984
- B.A., Philosophy, University of Toronto, 1979 (with distinction)
- Catholic University of America, 1974-1976
- Assistant Professor, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (2004- ) (tenured 2009)
- Assistant/Associate Professor, University of Southern Indiana (1996-2004)
- Adjunct Instructor, Seton Hall University (Spring 1996)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Illinois Wesleyan University (1994-1995)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Illinois State University (1992-1993)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech (1990-1992)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Rice University (1988-1990)
- Nominated for Educator of the Year in Spring 2009
- Nominated for Advisor of the Year in Spring 2009
- American Philosophical Association (2004- )
- PASSHE Interdisciplinary Association for Philosophy and Religious
Studies (2005- )
- "A Critique of One Unnaturalness Objection to Gay Sex," American Philosophical Association Newsletter (forthcoming Spring 2010).
- Review of William J. Wainwright, Religion and Morality, Secular Web, Fall 2009.
- "Christian Morality and Slave Morality," Philo (Fall/Winter 2009).
- "Nietzsche's Anticipations of Russell," Bertrand Russell Society Quarterly (Spring 2009).
- Review of Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World: A Novel on the History of Philosophy, Janua Sophia (2008).
- "The Special Rights Fallacy," PASSHE Values Newsletter (Fall 2007).
- "Science, Morality, and Religion: A Reply to Herman E. Daly," Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly (Summer/Fall 2006).
- "Absolutism, Relativism, and Abortion: A Reply to Gillespie," PASSHE Values Newsletter (Fall 2006).
- "Adams's Open-Question Argument Against Ethical Naturalism," Secular Web (2006).
- Review essay on Robert Merrihew Adams, Finite and Infinite Goods, Secular Web (2005).
- Review of Roger-Pol Droit, How Are Things? A Philosophical Experiment, New Humanist Update (December 6, 2005).
- "Social Conservatism, Sexual Morality, and Ethical Relativism," PASSHE Values Newsletter (Fall 2005).
- "By Virtue of Being White" [Letter], Teaching Tolerance (Spring 2007).
- "The 'Dark Side' of Catholic Colleges" [Letter], Chronicle of Higher Education, June 20, 2008.
- A 'Safe Space' for Students in Campus Offices" [Letter], Chronicle of Higher Education, January 18, 2008.
- "Believing in the Liberal Arts" [Letter], Chronicle of Higher Education, July 21, 2006.
- "Keep 'Moral Certainties' Out of the Classroom" [Letter], Chronicle of Higher Education, January 13, 2006.
- forthcoming work by New York University cognitive psychologist Gregory L. Murphy (Summer 2009)
- Journal of Value Inquiry (Spring 2009, Fall 2008, Spring 2007, Fall 2004)
- Janua_Sophia (2004-2009)
- Secular Web (Fall 2007)
- Secular Web (Fall 2007)
- Oxford University Press (Summer 2007)